How to gain self-confidence in yourself is the common question you always listen and think about. When we see somebody confident about himself or in a certain situation, we get impressed by him and wish to have that confidence. But firstly, we need to have a deep understanding of the concept and the ways or patterns that we need to implement in ourselves to reach that level.
Christopher Robin says beautifully that
“Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.”
Here I will discuss the concept and methods to gain self-confidence in yourself, which will hopefully be helpful for you.
What is self-confidence?
Self-confidence is all about an internal state made up of our thinking and feelings about ourselves. Our instincts and experiences become responses to a situation. We feel confident in some circumstances and less confident in others. Having healthy self-esteem leads to being self-confident so, a healthy self-liking is essential for the confidence to meet the challenges of life.
Why being self-confident is important?
Success comes from self-confidence. It is proved by the aspects mentioned below:-
- Self-confident people have the drive to start things –They are not shy about giving a new idea even when those around them are still thinking of it.
- Confident people stand up for themselves – Confidence lets you stand up for yourself in a reasonable manner.
- Ability to say No and to say Yes is the trait of a confident person – Confident people have the ability to say “No” where appropriate and at the same time, confident individuals say “Yes” to opportunity.
- Confident people have no fear of failure –Fear of what others think and fear of failure is not there.
- People who have confidence believe in themselves.
- Confident people aim high
- Confidence lets to test your limits.
- Confidence allows you to ask questions.
- Confident people believe in their ability to succeed.
Therefore, until now, I have discussed the concept and importance of self-confidence. If you compare the confident person aspects with the below mentioned low confident person traits then you may get a clear picture of what exactly the point of improvement is.
Understand the traits of a Low confidence person: To Gain Self-Confidence
Low confident person:-
- Undervalue himself regarding the capability he has.
- Take the blame when it is not their mistake
- Stays over reserved and shy
- Stay attached with negative results and past ‘disappointments’
- Preoccupy himself with the negative outcomes and failures that have not happened yet
- Having a fearful approach towards most things
Suppose you have a project to work. You being an unconfident person, think that you will not meet others’ expectations. This thought will influence your actions. As a result, continuous thinking about negative outcomes takes your focus off from the ideal achievement. When there is an unwanted outcome (which can be fixed), you enforce your negative beliefs on it. You then, try to prove that you are failed then ultimately the cycle of low-confidence continues.
But if we see the positive side of a picture, like, if you stay confident and sure in the same scenario then results would be different. You should first try to do the best if results are ok then fine and if not then you get the skills or specialties to do that. You think of a solution to solve that issue because you have clear thought that if I will be successful it would be great if not then it would be a lesson. This confidence sets you up for success and it enforces the self-worth in you.
How to gain self-confidence in yourself?
Acquiring Knowledge and Skills
It is the inside-out approach. Knowledge, skills, and abilities are linked with self-confidence. Ability can always be established through reading and practice. Suppose you have a presentation, firstly practice in front of yourself in a mirror then the next step is to practice in front of different audiences. In addition, try to be social by starting a discussion with a stranger in a gathering and by having a discussion on some topic.
Conditioning to Gain Self-Confidence
It is an outside-in approach. In short, it has the aspects tom improve such as,
- Presentation and Dressing: Dress smartly and have a clean and good look.
- Body language: You must have a good body language. You should walk and speak confidently, be calm and composed, hold your head up, have a good posture and have a smile on the face.
- Mental practices: Think positive, visualize positive outcomes/scenarios and focus on your strengths.
- Others: Exposing yourself to inspirational materials and example personalities.
Consider Ups and Downs as the Part of Life
This life has many ups and downs and cannot stay as it is. Therefore, bear the reality that time changes. The good time comes after bad times and vice versa. Plan and do not get worried. You are being realistic and a good planner will overcome the difficulties of life whenever they happen to be.
Remind yourself repeatedly to follow the above practices to gain self-confidence. Firstly, it would definitely work for the present situation and secondly, it will have long-lasting effects on your personality and the time will come that you will be followed and make other people impress.