If your friend asks you, “Do salads help you lose weight?” You will answer “Yes” after reading this blog post hopefully. The term “Salad” is not as simple as the term seems to be, as only as of the side item on your food table. It is a perfect full-fledged meal. Having salads in your diet is one of the crucial aspects of weight loss. The only thing that makes it nourishing, healthy and a way to slim down is its composition. It is important to use diet-friendly salad ingredients that are packed with nutrients, flavorful, and naturally low in fat and calories. Below is the research on the salad compositions and the vegetables, which are rich in such nutrients. Recipies are also mentioned to follow for a tasty treat.
Salad Greens – Best salad ingredient to help you lose weight
Choose green leafy vegetables as salads that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Go for soft and appetizing greens such as spinach, chard, mustard greens and beet greens. Add crispy, crunchy and low-calorie greens such as Iceberg, romaine, escarole, endive and leaf lettuce to your plate.
Vitamins boost metabolism and help you lose weight
Vegetable salads help to lose weight fastly. In addition it is a source of many nutrients, including potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, thiamin, vitamin B6, iron, fiber, folic acid and vitamins A, E, and C. Carrots are the best source of vitamin A. Kale, mustard greens, bell peppers are rich in vitamin C. Mushrooms are rich in vitamin D. Spinach, turnip greens are rich in vitamin E. Romaine lettuce, parsley, broccoli, collard greens are best for vitamin K. Vegetables such as broccoli, garlic, spinach and tomatoes provide additional benefits and add more flavor to the plate.
Healthy fats are essential for a healthy weight loss
Vegetables can have fats and can make you fat. Yes, it is true. Choose healthy fats as salad ingredients. Reasonable serving sizes should be there as healthy fat sources for salads like 1- 2 tablespoons of avocados, 10-15 nuts depending on size, 5-10 olives, 1-2 tablespoons of seeds such as sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
Proteins add richness to the plate
Healthy proteins in salads help you lose weight while giving you full energy. Add kidney beans, chickpea, grains, boiled meat, boiled eggs and, seafood or baked chicken chunks to your salads. Mushrooms are a good source of protein as well. Quinoa, corn and boiled lentils can also be added to give more healthful flavor and richness to the salad dish.
Herbs can help you lose weight too
- Basil: Basil fresh leaves blend well with greens. Moreover, the best additives can be tomatoes, eggplant, fruit (melons, strawberries, and citrus), lemon, garlic, onion, and vinegar.
- Tarragon: Tarragon’s licorice traces are ideal with parsley and chives. It pairs well with carrots, mustard, asparagus, green beans, chicken, and tomatoes.
- Italian Parsley: Gets along with most herbs. It is fresh and lightly bitter. It pairs well with thyme, garlic, onion, celery, and lemon, grains like quinoa, nuts and the dried fruit.
- Dill: Wonderful when mixed with mint. It tastes best with cucumber, potato, peas, and mustard. It blends well with mayonnaise and cream but it should be avoided or used in less quantity.
- Cilantro: Cilantro has a citrus-like intensity and adds mild bitterness to the salad. It is best with corn, avocados, mint, lime, tomato, chili peppers, red onion; also, soy, sesame seeds, and ginger.
Generally, use soft and tender herbs instead of tough ranges like oregano, rosemary, and sage. Avoid dense dressings that will overpower the herbs.
Healthy Salad Dressings are best for weight loss
Salad dressings give the salad a flavored burst. You can use simple olive oil or lemon dressing for salad or if you want to try different dressing recipes, then you can have them below:
- Make sesame ginger dressing by mixing olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, minced garlic, and ginger.
- Balsamic vinaigrette is one of the easiest homemade salad dressing. You can mix 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper to have it.
- The avocado dressing can be served as a tasty dip for fresh veggies. You can make it with 1 avocado cut into small chunks, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup lime juice, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Apple cider vinaigrette is a healthy and a tangy dressing that can help to balance the bitterness of leafy greens such as kale. Further, It is very helpful in weight loss and a good balance for blood sugar levels. Ingredients are 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon honey, lime juice, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
The dressings above are having a lot of flavors, packed with nourishment, just try them and you can make them with simple ingredients that are easily available in your home.
Best time to have your Salad
You can eat depending upon the ingredients of salad and your mood.
Before a meal as an appetizer
If you are trying to lose weight, eating a salad first, 150 calories or less, can increase the feeling of fullness and thus lessen the calories eaten during the meal.
During the meal
Plate half filled with vegetables and fruits follows for balanced eating. Additionally, it is quick and easy for fast evening meals.
After the meal as a dessert
Salad dressing made with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper is supposed to revitalize the taste buds in the eagerness of dessert so, this type of salad is eaten after the main course.
Common Mistakes while making Salads
Drizzly Salad Leaves
Wash the salad greens and do not forget to dry it properly. Wet salad leaves will prevent dressing.
Just season your salad even if it is simple, add a little salt and pepper. Moreover, believe, it goes a long way.
Too much dressing
A salad that is dripping in oil is less appetizing. Add more greens to correct the ratio if the extra dressing is added accidentally.
Pouring on the dressing
Do not dump the dressing on top of the salad and distribute the dressing evenly. Toss the salad in the bowl so that the dressing can evenly cover the greens.
Salad will be boring and unattractive with casual toppings such as chicken breast, cucumber, etc. Add grains, nuts, fruits, low-fat cheese to give it a new twist.
Served in a bowl
Serve the salad on a plate or platter. It will help to keep the salad and its ingredients all together.
The research and ideas about the simple yet interesting eatable are on your way. Just follow the tips and the recipes and you will enjoy the fruitful results.